Reid Diary 1861/62 Reid Diary Index Reid Soldier's Profile 16th OVI Home Page Reid Diary 1864
Diary of William Warner Reid
Corporal, Company C
1861 - 1862
Web Author's Notes:
The following excerpts were transcribed from the diary of William Warner Reid, a corporal in the 16th OVI. This transcription was provided by Robert Fisher, great-great grandson of the soldier.

Cpl. William Warner Reid


William Warner Reid


1 January

Nothing transpired today, but picket firing at 10 o'clock in the night. We evacuated our positions as quietly as possible and returned to the fleet. Embarked and moved down river a few miles.

2 January

The fleet moved down to the Mississippi River and up to Milliken's Bend, where we were joined by General John McClernand. A council of war was held and the expedition to Arkansas Post was formed accordingly. The fleet moved up the Mississippi River to the White River.

9 January

Went up the White River and crossed over into the Arkansas River and went to Arkansas Post.

10 January

The gunboats opened fire on the Post at 10 o'clock this morning and attracted the enemies attention, while the infantry surrounded their works.

11 January

This morning the battle began in earnest and continued until 4 o'clock in the afternoon, when the enemy raised the white flag. We captured about 7000 prisoners, 7 field batteries, 3 siege guns, along with a large amount of small arms ammunition and forage.

12, 13, 14 January

Were spent on loading the boats and destroying the forts.

15 January

Went aboard the steamers this evening. Had rain and snow.

16 January

Moved down the Napoleon.

17 January

Started down the river again.

21 January

Arrived at Young's Point, Louisiana and disembarked and went into camp. We remained at Young's Point 45 days doing fatigue work. Digging canal and mending the levee that had been broken by high water. We had monumental showers of rain, making our camps very muddy and disagreeable. Many died of fevers and other diseases contracted during our short stay in the Chickasaw Swamps. Our mortar boats occasionally shell the City of Vicksburg. The Ram Queen of the West ran past the rebel batteries and was shortly afterwards captured by the rebels on the Red River. She was destroyed by our gunboats. The Indianola also ran past the rebel batteries and was soon after sunk by two rebel rams. An expedition went through Yazoo Pass to Fort Pemberton on the Yellow Basha River, but failed to accomplish anything.

8 March

Our Brigade embarked on steamers and went up to Milliken's Bend, Louisiana and camped. Remained at Milliken's Bend 28 days. We were paid and clothing account settled up. Our camp here was good.

5 April

Struck tents and marched 12 miles to Richmond, Louisiana and stayed 8 days. While here received 2 months pay.

13 April

Left Richmond and went to Smith's Plantation about 20 miles from Richmond and 3 miles from New Carthage.

17 April

During the night 8 gunboats and several transports ran past the batteries at Vicksburg, without any serious damage, only one of the transports was sunk. The name of the gunboats were (ironclads) Benton, Tuscumbia, LaFayette, Pittsburg, Mound City, Louisville, Corondolette, and the wooden boat was the General Price. They shelled the rebels from Carthage.

18 April

We crossed over the bayou and lay on the levee all night. Rained hard.

19 April

Moved down below New Carthage to Perkin's Plantation and camped 10 days. This place formerly called Ashwood Landing. Our camp was very nice. A beautiful residence once stood close to our camp and the grove of live oaks yet stands to adorn the spot.

28 April

Our Division (9th) commanded by T.J. Osterhaus Cary. The Division embarked and started for Grand Gulf, distance 25 miles by river. Arrived about 5 o'clock this evening at Hard Times landing within 4 miles of Grand Gulf.

29 April

All day the gunboats bombarded the works at Grand Gulf, But not being entirely successful in silencing the enemy batteries. The troops were landed on the Louisiana side and marched below Grand Gulf. During the night the boats ran past the batteries.

30 April

The troops all embarked on the boats and went down the river and landed at Bruinsburg Landing. After drawing 8 days rations, we started for Port Gibson and met the enemy about midnight at Thompson's Hill.

1 May

Early in the morning the battle commenced and raged with great fury for 9 hours, when we succeeded in completely routing them. We captured 1000 prisoners, 7 cannon, and much other material. The rebels General Tracey was killed. The enemy was commanded by General Powen.

2 May

Continued chasing the flying rebs so closely that our advance passed over the bridges they fired before any damage was done. Constant skirmishing going on always resulting in our favor.

3, 4, 5 May

Remained camped by roadside.

6 May

Camped at Big Sandy, where we staid until 10 May.

10 May

Marched 13 miles and camped in a corn field by roadside.

11 May

The Corps of General McPherson and General Sherman passed us.

12 May

Marched 14 miles to 14 Mile Creek. Our forces under General McPherson defeated the rebs near Raymond.

13 May

Marched to Raymond, stopped to camp in the evening, but soon started again.

14 May

Arrived at Raymond at 3 o'clock in the morning and remained all day. Rain literally pouring down. General Sherman's and General McPherson's Corps have a fight at Jackson. Captured the city together with a large amount of munitions.

15 May

Left Raymond and marched towards Bottom Station. Arrived within 3/4 of a mile of the place and found General Hovey's and General Crocker's Divisions on the road, so we turned back. Went 3 miles and took the road for Edward's Depot. After going 1 mile we camped for the night.

16 May

After moving forward this morning, about 4 miles, we encountered the enemy. The enemy about 40,000 strong under Lt. General Pemberton at Champion Hills, at which we fought the hardest battle of the southwest. Our forces advanced in the following order; Hovey and Crocker on the right, Carr and Osterhaus in the center, Smith and Blair on the left, the heaviest fighting was on the right. Charges were made on both sides. The battle raged fiercely until 3 o'clock in the afternoon, when we were reinforced by Logan. About 4 o'clock we succeeded in routing them and a running fight was kept up until dark. We followed them to Edward's Station where we rested until morning. At the Battle of Champion Hills we captured 3000 prisoners, 16 cannon together with much other property. The rebel dead and wounded were left on the field and fell into our hands. The rebel General Tightman was killed during the battle.

17 May

At daylight we started, Carr's division in advance. Went to Black River, where we found the enemy firmly entrenched on both sides of the railroad. Arrived there at 9 o'clock in the morning. Carr on the right and Osterhaus on the left. After a fight of 2 1/2 hours we charged their works and drove across the river. We captured 3 regiments and 17 pieces of artillery. They fired the bridge after crossing and left a regiment of sharpshooters to annoy our pioneers while Pontooning.

18 May

Crossed the river this morning and marched 8 miles and camped.

19 May

Moved forward 3 miles and found the enemy inside their forts in the rear of Vicksburg. Our division made a charge over the hills and ravines. Got in a position about 400 yards from 2 of their large forts. We had to go through a perfect shower of iron and lead.

20, 21 May

We kept up a continual fire, picking off their gunners.

22 May

A charge was made along the whole line, but proved unsuccessful.

23 May

We were relieved by a brigade of Hovey's Division and were sent to support the 16th Ohio Battery, where we remained until 8 June.

8 June

Moved to Black River bridge and camped.

24 June

Moved to Camp Alice near Bovina Station, had a very nice camp. Carried our water 3/4 of a mile.

26 June

Received 2 months pay.

4 July

General Pemberton surrendered the City of Vicksburg and all his forces, amounting to 30,000 men and a large quanity of arms and artillery. The prisoners were all paroled and sent outside of our lines.

6 July

The 13th Army Corps started for Jackson. We marched 6 miles and camped near Edwards Station.

7 July

Marched again. Weather very hot, many fell by the roadside overcome by heat and fatigue. Passed over Champion Hills. The marks of the great battle plainly seen on the trees. One to be seen is completely riddled with balls. In many places the trenches, where the dead are buried are to be seen. Marched 13 miles and camped in a field by the railroad. Had some fighting with the enemy under Johnson.

8 July

Marched about 3 1/2 miles, had fighting with enemy cavalry and drove them off.

9 July August

Had Grand Review by General Banks.

4 September

We were reviewed by General Grant today.

6 September

Embarked on steamers and went down to Algiers, opposite New Orleans, where we took cars for Brashear City. Stopped at Bayou Beouff.

17 September

Marched to Brashear City 12 miles. Went into camp on the bank of Berwick Bay, 80 miles from New Orleans.

18 September

The 19th Army Corps crossed over the bay and went up the Bayou Teche.

24 Sept

Passed through Clinton, marched 12 miles and camped.

10 July

Marched 8 miles and drove the enemy pickets into their works around Jackson and invested the place. The enemy held it until the night of 16 July when they evacuated.

17 July

Occupied Jackson and remained there for several days destroying the railroad and burning bridges.

20 July

Started for Vicksburg and marched to Mississippi Springs where we camped for the night, having marched a distance of 14 miles. Heavy rain in the evening. We passed through Raymond this day.

22 July

Crossed Black River and camped at our old camp.

23 July

Marched to Vicksburg and camped near town.

24 July

Marched through town and camped near Mississippi River, where we stayed for 19 days.

1 August

Received 2 months pay.

13 August

Our Brigade embarked on the fleet and went down river to Carrolton, Louisiana. 5 miles above New Orleans.

15 August

Arrived Carrolton.

16 August

Debarked and went into camp 1/2 mile east of town. Remained at Carrolton until 6 September. Used water from the river.

27, 28 September

The 3rd and 4th Brigades were consolidated. Brigadier General Lawler commanding.

25 September

the Division crossed the bay and went into camp 2 miles above Barwick. Had considerable rain while here.

3 October

Took up our line of march at 6 o'clock this morning and marched 15 miles to Camp Brisland.

4 October

Started at 6 o'clock this morning and marched 10 miles camping near Franklin, Louisiana, a very nice town on Bayou Teche.

5 October

Marched at 5 o'clock passed through Franklin and went 14 miles, got 2 months pay tonight.

6 October

Started at 6 o'clock and marched 10 miles passed through some beautiful country.

7, 8 October


9 October

Resumed our march at 5 o'clock, went 19 miles passing through New Iberia and St. Martinsburg, Louisiana.

10 October

Started at sunrise and marched 10 miles, passed the 19th Corps and went into camp at Vermillion Bayou and stayed here for 12 days. The Ohio Regiments voted for State and County office's on 12 October.

23 October

Started out this morning at 7 o'clock. Marched 15 miles to Carrion Crow Bayou, rained hard all day.

24 October

Resumed our march at 6 o'clock. Marched 12 miles to Opelousas, Louisiana and went into camp. Some of the boys went out foraging and were captured.

27 October

Cloudy morning started at 7 o'clock and came back to Carrion Crow Bayou.

28 October

Lay over today. 14th Ohio went to Vermillionville.

29 October

Started st 7 o'clock for Vermillion Bayou arrived at camp, Leuitenant Colonel Kershner joined us tonight.

30 October

Started at 5 o'clock and marched 20 miles to New Iberia.

4 November

Our Regiment was ordered to garrison the town. Leuitenant Colonel Kershner commanding. Stayed here but 4 days.

8 November

The Division started for Franklin at 5 o'clock. The 16th did not get off until noon, we all got into wagons and arrived at Franklin at 10 o'clock on the morning of the 9th.

9 November

We got on board steamers and came down to Barwick where we stayed until 13 November. While here 1st and 2nd Brigades went via the Gulf to Texas.

13 November

Crossed the bay to Brashear City, where we stayed until 22 November. Part of the Brigade went to Donaldsonville on the Mississippi River.

22 November

Took cars and went to Algiers. Our paroled prisoners joined us here.

25 November

Got onboard steamship St. Mary and started for Texas.

27 November

Arrived off Pass Cavallo. Heavy storms 26, 27, 28 November.

29 November

Went down to Aransas Pass.

30 November

Landed 3 companies of the 69th Indiana and then got orders to return to Pass Cavallo. The enemy having evacuated Fort Esparanze and our men having possession of it.

1 December

Disembarked at Decrous Point and went into camp. Stayed here until 13 January.

Reid Diary 1861/62 Reid Diary Index Reid Soldier's Profile 16th OVI Home Page Reid Diary 1864