History of 90-day Regiment Company Details Index 16th OVI Home Page Company I Roster
16th Ohio Volunteer Infantry
90-Day Regimental History
History of Company I
Web Author's Notes:
The following are excerpts from History of Richland County, Ohio - Its Past and Present published by A. A. Graham & Co. in 1880. The author mixes the descriptions of the 16th Ohio with the 15th Ohio with a leaning toward the 15th Ohio, however, these units served closely with each other during their 90-day service at the start of the war. Capt. Miller Moody organized what became Company I of the 16th OVI from Richland County, Ohio, that is referred to in the article. Col. Andrews, Lt. Col. Dickey, Capts. McLaughlin, Miller and Cummins are all associated with the 15th OVI but, again, served closely with Col. James Irwin and the 16th Ohio during the Union's first move into West Virginia (Virginia at the time) at Benwood, Glover's Gap, Grafton and Philippi. All dates referenced in the article were in the year 1861.


Before proceeding to the history of the three-years service, it will be well to go back and notice the organization of the three companies referred to, and their exploits in the war.

Capt. McLaughlin's company, though the first to enlist men and to leave for the war, was but little in advance of others. He began enlisting men Tuesday night, April 17. In a day or two, his company was full, and on its way to Columbus. Other towns in the county were awaking. The next day after Capt. McLaughlin began enlisting men (Wednesday), Miller Moody, a resident of Bellville, began raising a volunteer company, and the following Monday started for Columbus with about seventy-five men of the right stamp, say the local papers. The Village Council and the citizens raised over $700, and further pledged their aid to the support of the families of volunteers, should any necessity arise where such help would be needed. Mr. Moody was elected Captain of the company; A. W. Loback, First Lieutenant, and James Riddle, Second Lieutenant. At Columbus, the company was assigned to the Sixteenth Regiment, and passed with it a very creditable campaign in the eastern division of the army, doing guard duty and aiding in repelling invasions toward the north. The regiment came home about the 8th or 9th of August. Capt. Moody's company had lost not a man. All returned in health and spirits, and not long after, many re-enlisted in the three-years service.

May 30, they left Camp Benwood, and went on to Camp Burton, the Sixteenth Regiment having preceded them one day. At Camp Burton, seven companies under command of Col. Andrews encamped, and three companies under Lieut. Col. Dickey proceeded to Glover's Gap and camped. Both were doing guard duty on the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad. The regiments did not well relish this service. They desired to get to the front, and, by a stroke of policy, received an order from the General to move on. They marched to Grafton. While at this place, three companies were detailed, under command of Lieut. Col. Dickey, to go to Philippi. They reached there the day after the fight. None of these companies under Gen. Hill were sent to intercept Ge. Garnett's retreating troops; but, halting a few miles too soon, the rebels passed them in the night, and escaped. SOon after, the skirmishes at Laurel Hill and Carrick's Ford occurred. At the latter place the rebels lost Gen. Garnett, one of their best generals. He was killed while endeavoring to rally his men. The term of enlistment of three-months men had expired before these engagements occurred; but they were induced to remain in reponse to an urgent appeal from Gen. McClellan, who desired them in the crisis to stand a while longer. After the affairs terminated, the separated regiments were gathered at Grafton, and there took cars for home, arriving in Columbus about the 1st of August. They (the Fifteenth and Sixteenth) had been in almost the same kind of service, principally guard duty. They had performed a large amount of marching, guarding and repairing of bridges along the railroad, and in the discharge of these duties had been of great value to the Government. The Fifteenth had lost but two men.

Capt. Miller and Capt. Cummins' companies arrived home August 2, Mr. N. O. Smith being the only man missing, and he, the county's first offering on the altar of freedom, lay asleep in the cemetery. The next dayh after Capt. Miller arrived, Capt. McLaughlin's company came; Capt. Moody was also home soon, and the three-months soldiers the county had sent were again in their homes, and narrating their exploits on the fields of battle. The war had, however, only begun. Their experiences soon gave way before those who had seen longer terms of service. THe Government, recognizing the magnitude of the conflict, was now enlisting new men for three years instead of three months. Many who had seen the front began to prepare to return. As long as the country is in danger, so long will we be ready, said they. The opportunity was at hand. They improved it.

History of 90-day Regiment Company Details Index 16th OVI Home Page Company I Roster